Jeep Renegade has an oil service light that will turn on when the oil needs to be replaced. There’s nothing wrong with doing the job yourself and saving some extra cash, but you’ll have to reset the oil light manually to prepare it for the next cycle.
To reset the oil light on the Jeep Renegade, you won’t need any tools. Simply follow the steps provided in this guide, and you’ll be able to reset it in a matter of seconds.
Jeep Renegade Oil Reset
Resetting the oil service light on a Jeep Renegade is very straightforward. This method can be used for every model year from the first generation (2015 – ).
- Make sure the gear shifter is set to park, and that the parking brake is engaged.
- Set the ignition to the ON position, but do not crank the engine.
- Slowly depress and release the gas pedal three times in succession.
- Set the ignition to the OFF position, then set it back to the ON position again.
- Check if the reset oil light has turned off.
That is all you need to do to get the oil reset light to turn off on your Jeep Renegade! The whole process takes less than thirty seconds, and the only thing to remember is to set the vehicle in park gear to prevent it from moving when you step on the gas.
Jeep Renegade Oil Change
Now that we’ve covered the steps of how to reset the oil service light, let’s go through the process of the oil change. You shouldn’t reset the service light without servicing the vehicle, as you’re running the risk of severely damaging the engine.
Jeep Renegade uses synthetic oil in its system, but you need to check the owner’s manual or the oil cap on the engine to find the exact type. The most commonly used oil types are the full-synthetic 0W-20, 10W-30, and 5W-40. An oil drain pan is necessary as oil is considered toxic waste and needs to be collected, and disposed off properly.
Oil is held back by a single nut on the oil sump. If you don’t plan on swapping the oil filter, you’ll only need one wrench to unscrew the nut. However, I would recommend replacing the oil filter and the air filter as both will cost you less than $20. It’s a good idea to get an oil filter wrench, as they can be very difficult to remove by hand.
Jeep Renegade is a fairly tall vehicle, so you’ll most likely manage to get beneath the engine bay without the use of a car lift or a mechanic’s trench. Wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty, and put on a pair of rubber gloves to avoid getting oil on your hands. Now, let’s get into the steps of changing the oil and the oil filter on a Jeep Renegade.
- You want the oil to be warm enough to flow more easily.
- Put on your gloves, then place a oil drain pan underneath the oil sump.
- Use a wrench to unscrew the nut holding the oil back. It’s fine if it drops into the drain pan, but be careful not to get oil on yourself.
- Once the oil is out, use the oil filter wrench to unscrew the oil filter. There will be oil inside the filter, so be careful when you remove it.
- Put the new filter in, and screw in the oil sump nut.
- Open the hood and unscrew the oil cap. Pour the recommended amount of oil in, and close the cap.
- Let the engine run for 30 seconds. Check the oil levels, and add more oil if necessary.
- Slowly pull out the oil drain pan, then use the handle as the funnel to pour the oil back into the original containers.
- Take the containers to a recycling facility.
How often does Jeep Renegade need an oil change?
Jeep recommends changing the oil in Renegade in 3 to 5 thousand mile intervals. For the best figure, check your owner manual. A good rule of thumb is to change the oil every 6,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first.
How much does an oil change cost for a Jeep Renegade?
As Renegade takes up to 5.5 quarts of oil, you’ll have to spend between $30 and $60 on oil. An oil filter and air filter are roughly $10 each, while the labor cost will set you back $40. The first time you replace oil yourself, you’ll spend the cost of labor on tools and equipment, but each subsequent oil change will cost you as little as $50.
Do Jeep Renegades have a lot of problems?
Renegade is not the most reliable Jeep, ranking 7th out of 9 Jeep Models. Owners reported as many as 557 complaints, mostly with the excessive oil consumption of the 2.4L Tigershark engine, its emissions, and the 9-Speed ZF transmission.
Do Jeep Renegades burn oil?
Jeep Renegades are notorious for burning oil, as much as 1 quart per 1000 miles, which is not only a maintenance problem but also causes increased emissions.
Resetting the oil service light on Jeep Renegade is a very simple task and you can get it done in just a few seconds. However, you shouldn’t reset the light without actually changing the oil, which is why I’ve provided an oil change guide. I hope your Renegade continues to serve you well, and if you need any other Jeep maintenance and repair tricks, take a look at our other guides!